Many companies are using social media to build their brand and gain recognition in the marketplace, and others want to start integrating social media into their marketing mix but aren’t sure where to start.
Here are a few thoughts on launching a campaign:
• Embrace failure and learn from the mistakes – Look at Skittles – they launched a Twitter campaign by turning their homepage into a Twitter feed. When that failed Skittles tried another approach, but didn’t take into consideration what happened the first time! They didn’t learn from their first mistake and what happened – Strike 2! Their ego-centric approach didn’t work the 1st time, why would it work the 2nd time? Learn from the mistakes made and correct them on the 2nd approach to achieve the goal you sought out in the first place.
• Engage with your audience – listen to their ideas and thoughts; don’t make the social media effort all about YOU.
• There is no “I” in team – collaborate with team members to get their feedback and insight on the initiative.
• When launching a social media campaign have a clear, focused goal in mind and follow the necessary steps to achieve it. Is it driving visits to the website? Is it signing up for a webinar? Consider your goal and how you will measure the results of your effort. But recall, sometimes social media ROI can be fuzzy.
• Create something of value for your audience. Give them a reason to care.
• Know your audience before implementing a campaign and be prepared for the worst before it occurs.
• Be up front and honest with your intentions – it establishes trust and credibility.
Plan for success, prepare for failure!