The press release is dead.
Well, that’s what some people think. And although press releases are changing as the shape of media changes, they are still an important tool in strategic marketing planning for most companies. Besides serving the basic function of getting company news out to the media, they also can help increase your SEO or search engine optimization. What’s SEO? Wikipedia defines it as the process of improving the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via natural (or organic) search results.
- Be sure your press releases are embedded with links to your site, your services, and your blog. This drives traffic your site. Hint: include the http:// portion of the URLs in your release or the link will not be clickable when published.
- Place your links in the first two paragraphs of the release, or “above the fold” of the screen.
- Be sure your press releases are focused on your keywords. As you use keywords as part of your website SEO brand strategy, think about that same process for your press releases. Have a set of keywords in mind before you sit down to write your release.
- Repeat keywords at least three times throughout the release.
- Include anchor text hyperlinks in the press release that are your keywords or similar to them and make sure these words are linked back to the appropriate page on your website.
- When your press releases are posted online, they will often show in Google search, increasing your online “real estate”.
Be sure you are incorporating press releases into your marketing and brand strategy – optimized for search they can increase traffic to websites, build inbound links to your site and improve search-engine rankings.